When I Broke Skyrim

If you’ve been following me on Twitter, you might know that I’ve been playing a heck of a lot of Skyrim! I’ve had the game for a while, but I like to go back to it every now and then because there is so much to do and so many different builds you can try out!

This time around, I thought I was going to play an archer-mage type character, but I decided to only be an archer. I leveled through that, and put some points toward Archery, Enchanting, Smithing, and Speech (heh, the merchants never have enough gold so I wanted to invest more money into one).

I got to level 40, and after clearing a lot of the map and joining the Companions, Thieves Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood, building and furnishing a house at Lakeview Manor, and a whole lot of other things, my game began to freeze on loading screens. I could load the game itself and walk around, but if I went through a door to a different area or fast traveled somewhere, my game became stuck and I was forever on a black screen but able to hear the music in the background still.

Since I installed a few mods in my game, I went through the process of taking them out to see if it changed anything. With or without mods, I had the same issue.

I then decided to remove all but my latest save files from the game folder just in case they were bogging down my game somehow. I had save files from 2013 in there! This didn’t seem to be the issue, because my latest save file was still broken. I tried out a save file from a week ago, and it worked! Unfortunately, I had played a lot this past week, and I was bummed at the progress I had lost.

I received some advice about avoiding the problem in the future and also how I could possibly save my corrupt save file. I utilized a tool that cleans save files! I tried it and attempted to test if it worked by going through a doorway. Since I thought the bug was linked to any loading screen, I thought it worked since I was able to do that. However, when I tried to fast travel to another location, I still had the same issue.

I’m a bit tired and frustrated trying to fix my save file, and I’m not feeling motivated to start a new character or play without the week of progress I had made. I decided to reinstall The Elder Scrolls Online and play that for a bit until I purchase Fallout 4, which I’m looking forward to playing! Hopefully I can get some posts out about those games, and maybe I’ll change my mind from my original thoughts about TESO.

6 Comments on When I Broke Skyrim

1. healingspec
    February 16, 2016 at 7:26 pm (1 year ago)

Like you I’m saving for Fallout 4. Can’t wait!!

2. Mhorgrim
    February 17, 2016 at 12:50 pm (1 year ago)

So I bought Skyrim Legendary on sale during Christmas and it had to be the best…what $10 I ever spent on a game. I run a very heavily modded game. As a suggestion especially if your mods are very old, hop down to the Skyrim Mod community on Reddit. Terrorfox put out one heck of an awesome article on making modded games reasonably stable. Because mods are player created there will always be some issues but I’m fairly stable running about 148 of them currently. Try not to delete mods midway through your game though, it will cause additional crashes and also it will fragment your hard drive.

BUT, the possibilities are tremendous and change the game in some pretty cool ways depending on what you install.

3. Hugo
    February 18, 2016 at 2:13 am (1 year ago)

I still have Skyrim on my Steam backlog (bought it in a Sale last year) but still need to start playing… what mods can you recommend for the game?

• Mhorgrim
      February 18, 2016 at 3:15 pm (1 year ago)

Honestly depends on what you want. I would seriously go over to the Skyrim Mods reddit page. Terrorfox does an excellent job of setting up your baseline for a modded game. I do recommend you use Mod Organizer over NMM. It does a better job in organizing load orders which is very important. It also allows you to tie in utilities that help you clean mod files, auto set the load order, do merge patches etc. Read it very carefully though.

Some of my favorites off the bat:
      SkyUI, Perkus Maximus (aka PerMa), Race menu, ApachiiSkyHair, CBBE, Better Messagebox Controls, Complete Crafting Overhaul, Complete Alchemy Overhaul, Equiping Overhaul, FNIS, Fine Face Textures for Men, Beards, Brows, Extensible Follower Framework, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, Violens, Moonlight Tales (werewolf Overhaul), Take Notes, ETAC, Cloaks of Skyrim, Winter is coming Cloaks, Wiseman’s Flora Fixes, Character Creation Overhaul, Hunterborn, MainMenu (great if you play multiple toons like I do, organizes them by name), and the list can go on.

But please make sure you read the Mod articles on Skyrim Reddit. Load order is critical, DL mods only from Nexus Mods, Steam screws them up. Try as much as possible to stay with mods that have been updated within last 21 months. There are a few older ones that are stable, but updated ones help stability. Modding can be be both heaven and hell if you aren’t keeping an eye on what you DL. Sometimes there are compatibility issues. I know, I learned the hard way. Still learning but it’s a blast to see what I can do with it.

• prettylittlesith
      February 22, 2016 at 9:41 pm (1 year ago)

I really like one that’s called Cimates of Tamriel, or something like that. Also all the unofficial patches, maps with roads, and I think it’s called 2k textures or something. They’re all in the top mods for Skyrim if you go to http://www.nexusmods.com

4. K. Alex
    February 25, 2016 at 1:29 pm (12 months ago)

Loved Skyrim. Been playing a bit of Elder Scrolls Online lately. It’s pretty good. Just wish the enemies were more in line with your characters level. It can get kind of easy which makes it boring